Publications and presentations
VIRCLASS Publication CV
Larsen, AK., Sanders, R. Astray, A A., Hole, GO. (2008): E-teacher Challenges and Competences in International Comparative Social Work Courses. Social Work Education, Vol 27, Issue 6, pp 623-633
This paper focuses on how technology used by the Virtual Classroom for Social Work in Europe (VIRCLASS) enables the development of multimedia learning material, creates a supportive learning environment for students and teachers, and promotes communication across national borders. One significant outcome of this programme has been that the process of developing a common curriculum plan and the learning material has triggered the development of digital competence on the part of the teachers. The paper discusses the impact on the teachers' role of using a Virtual Book with screen lectures, audio-visual triggers and a video-case.
Two cohorts completed the programme between 2005 and 2007. The discussion of the development of a new teacher role, where teachers can be seen as a Community of Learners, is undertaken from a socio-cultural perspective where data from the first cohort are important as a backdrop for the discussion.
Outlined from the teachers' experiences, four important e-teacher competences emerge—facilitator competences, ICT competences, supervision/coaching competences, and collaboration competences. From this, knowledge, skills and attitudes are explored.
|Keywords: International Social Work Education; ICT Competences; Teacher Role; Teacher Competences; Learning Communities; Teacher Collaboration; Digital Learning Material; Facilitating Collaborative Learning; Teaching Skills; Teaching Attitudes|
Larsen,AK., Hole, GO., Fahlvik,M. (2007): Developing a Virtual Book – Material for Virtual Learning environments. Seminar.net vol 3, issue 3.The future of the Learning Management System http://www.seminar.net/
This article describes the process of, and considerations taken when Virtual Learning Materials were developed for an international study in Comparative Social Work arranged by the VIRCLASS project. The steps taken and the elements included in the Virtual Book – A Guide to Social Work in Europe are presented in details to inform others who are planning to make virtual learning materials. Students from 11 countries in Europe participated, and their reception of this material and learning outcomes from using it are analysed and presented. Furthermore; the article discuss how the learning material contributes to students’ learning, how a common understanding of practice enhances knowledge-building and in what way audio-visual learning material can contribute to good learning in e-learning courses. The results are discussed in relation to theories about composite texts and community of inquiry, and outlines some challenges for e-teachers’ competences.
Larsen, AK.;Hole, GO. (2007b): Arranging Digital studies in an International Learning Community. The VIRCLASS project. Gunnar Myklebost og Olav Skare (edr) Om re-mediering av undervisning - og læring gjennom samarbeid. (About re-mediation of teaching and learning through collaboration) Norgesuniversitetet/Norway Opening Universities Report 2/2007 chapter 10 http://norgesuniversitetet.no/artikler/2007/1195462513.76
This article will focus on how to arrange a virtual classroom that will enhance collaboration and learning among the participants from all over Europe. It is based on a single case study The VIRCLASS project – The Virtual Classroom for Social Work in Europe, which is a project that has developed e-learning courses for social work students with an international group of teachers. The research data are descriptive and based on both quantitative and qualitative data collected over a two years period and within a pragmatic approach. The article highlights factors that influence the learning environment and the “special” challenges when arranging a collaborative learning environment within an international community of e-learning.
On the background of a social-cultural learning perspective and theories about good learning, the experience and practice in the VIRCLASS project is analysed and discussed.
Larsen, AK; Hole, GO (2007a): The role of the Virtual Classroom in opening up the European Curriculum. In Frost., Freitas & Campanini (2007): Social Work Education in Europe. EUSW book III, chapter 4, pp 73-88. Carocci Editore, Rome, August 2007
This chapter focuses upon the reflections of students regarding their participation in the e-learning courses organized through the VIRCLASS project. By examining further the students’ own reflections, our desire is to make improvements to any future courses we offer. How can e-learning courses in social work contributes to the development of professional competences?
The concepts of learning which underlie the e-learning courses in VIRCLASS are presented, and then a brief overview of the research process follows. The presentation of data will relate directly to the central themes which emerged through the examination of students’ reflections upon e-learning. The chapter ends with us deliberating on both the students’ reflections on learning and the actual significance of reflecting upon learning in social work.
Hole, GO, Larsen, AK (2007): VIRCLASS: the Virtual Classroom for Social Work in Europe - a toolkit for innovation? EURODL (European Journal of Open Distance and E-learning) 1/2007 http://www.eurodl.org/materials/contrib/2007/Hole_Larsen.htm
Through a student-centred virtual learning environment students and teachers in Europe cooperate, exchange information of social work in their own country, and increase their digital literacy. In VIRCLASS students from 15 countries collaborated in their learning process by sharing knowledge with peer-students. Teachers from eight European countries were involved in the course. With a common curriculum, a study-program rewarded with 15 ECTS credits and using A-F marks many of the elements from the Bologna-process are met.
2. Virtual learning materials
1. Larsen, AK (2006) (edr): The Virtual Book – A guide to Social Work in Europe. Bergen: HiB, VIRCLASS production.
3. Presentations at international/ national conferences (with abstract/ paper)
Marques, Eduardo, Astray, AA, Larsen, AK, Hole, GO (2008)" E-learning Students: reasons for dropout: The VIRCLASS Case (The Virtual Classroom for Social Work in Europe). Presentation at the EDEN Annual Conference in Lisbon, Portugal 11-14 June 2008. New Learning Cultures: how do we learn? Where do we learn? Read the paper. See the PowerpointArias Astray, A. (2008). “VIRCLASS, Trabajo Social en Europa: nuevas tecnologías para el Trabajo Social”. Seminario Interuniversitario: Intervención Social en Inmigración, Violencia y Género. Especial referencia a las TIC’S. Salamanca University. 7-8 March. Salamanca. Spain
English translation: “VIRCLASS, Social Work in Europe: new technologies for Social Work”. Inter-university seminar: social intervention in immigration, violence and gender. Special reference to ICT.
Olsson, Klas-Göran: Det virtuella klassrummet för "Social Work in Europe". Ett verktyg för utveckling av socialt arbete i Europa. Presentasjon og Poster på Vetenskapens Dag, Hälsohögskolan i Jönköping. 5.March 2008
Veenkamp, R: VIRCLASS presentation at HBO-raad - national teachers conference, Haarlem.
Veenkamp,R: VIRCLASS presentation at the Haagse Hogeschool, Teachers conference, 8 November 2007, Haarlem
Larsen, AK: Learning and Teaching Practice in EUSW. VIRCLASS e-learning courses. EUSW 3rd annual meeting, Seville Spain October 2007
Larsen, AK/ Olsson, K-G: VIRCLASS goes World Wide. Presentation at NOMA conference, Bodø, Norway. August 2007
Sanders,R./Larsen, AK: VIRCLASS - Social Work Education - sans Frontieres. Presentation at 9th UK Joint Social Work Education Conference, 1st UK Social Work Research Conference, July 2007, Swansea, UK.
Larsen, AK/ Hole, GO/Fahlvik,M: Will Mrs K and her Family trigger the learning in European Social Work? Presentation at DIVERSE07, Lillehammer, June 2007
Olsson, K-G: VIRCLASS Det Virtuella Klassrummet för ”Social Work in Europe”: ett verktyg för utveckling av socialt arbete i Europa Presentation at Seminarion, Högskolan i Jönköbing, May 2007
Marques,E.: Social Work Contributions to Promote Diversity and Equality – The VIRCLASS example. Presentation at the 7th Congresso da Cercilei – Liberdade condicionada pela diferenca. Leira, Portugal, April 2007
Larsen, AK: Presentation of the use of it's learning in an international classroom and development and use of a digital learning material in e-learning courses. Invited presenter at a national e-learning Conference, NVU, Bergen March 2007
Olsson, K-G/Larsen, AK/Veenkamp,R: VIRCLASS . The Virtual Classroom for Social Work in Europe - a toolkit for developing social work in Europe. Presentation at European Association of Social Work Conference, Parma Italy, March 2007
Larsen, AK: Kunnskapsutvikling i sosialt arbeid ved bruk av IKT i internasjonale studier. Presentasjon på Jubileumskonferanse i Bergen FORSA-Norge 10 år: Sosialt arbeid ved et veiskille. 30 nov – 1 des. 2006
In English: Development of the knowledgebase in Social Work by the use of ICT in international studies. Presentation at the Jubileumconference in Bergen, FORSA (Research in Social Work)- Norway 10 year.
Hole, GO/Larsen,AK: Productive Learning in Social Work Education A case-study of a Learning Community in European Social Work, mediated through the Learning Management Systems its: learning. EDEN Research workshop Barcelona, Spain, October 2006
Kantowicz,E: New Educational Programmes of European Social Work - VIRCLASS example. Presentation at the PASSW, Polish Association of Schools of Social Work Conference, Kielce, Poland 11-12 Oct 2006
Hole,GO/Larsen,AK: VIRCLASS - A toolkit for innovation in Social Work in Europe? EDEN conference, Vienna, Austria June 2006
Olsson, K-G/ Larsen,AK: Europas virtuella klassrum, ger nya möjligheter till internationella studier i Socialt Arbete (The Virtual Classroom for Social Work in Europe. New possibilities for international studies in social work) Presentation at Netlearning international e-learning conference, Ronneby, Sweden, May 2006
Larsen,AK/Olsson,K-G: The Virtual Classroom for Social Work in Europe. Presentation at 6 th Nordic Conference of FORSA. Socialt arbete i informationseran - polariseringar och nya paradigm i kunskapsproduktionen Helsinki, Finland 9-11 February 2006.
Larsen,AK: VIRCLASS - The Virtual Classroom for Social Work in Europe. Presentation at EUSW 2nd Annual Meeting. The role of Research in Social Work Education in Europe Olsztyn in Poland Ocober 2006
Larsen,AK: ODL (open distance learning) as instrument for teaching and learning social work in a changing Europe. Presentation of the Virtual Classroom for Social Work in Europe (the VIRCLASS project). 21st Nordic Conference for Schools of Social Work Copenhagen, Denmark. August 2005
4. Presentations at VIRCLASS meetings/ local meetings
- Larsen: VIRCLASS – A new Administrative and Financial Model. Presentation at VIRCLASS Conference in Bergen: VIRCLASS – future organisation. 23 – 25 November 2006
- Larsen: VIRCLASS – Experiences and Evaluation. Presentation at VIRCLASS Conference in Bergen: VIRCLASS – future organisation. 23 – 25 November 2006
- Thomassen: Presentation of the Virtual Book. Presentation at VIRCLASS Conference on Bergen: VIRCLASS – future organisation. 23 – 25 November 2006
- Hole: To be an e-learning teacher: pedagogical design and the teachers’ role. Can VIRCLASS help to fulfil the Bologna Declaration? Presentation at ”E-learning method in international cooperation and learning”. Madrid, Spain, 20-22 September 2006
- Larsen: E-learning a way of teaching and learning social work in a changing Europe? Presentation at ”E-learning method in international cooperation and learning”. Madrid, Spain, 20-22 September 2006
- Thomassen: Presentation of the Virtual Book and the Case Presentation at ”E-learning method in international cooperation and learning”. Madrid, Spain 20-22 September 2006
- Sanders/Larsen: Presentation and discussion of Anti Oppressive Practice and Critical Reflection (Presentation at ”E-learning method in international cooperation and learning”. Madrid, Spain 20-22 September 2006
- Fahlvik: Screen lectures. VIRCLASS network-meeting in Dornbirn, Austria, 30 March 2006
- Fahlvik: Social Software. Demonstration. VIRCLASS network-meeting in Dornbirn, Austria, 30 March 2006
- Fahlvik: Ideas about Didactical Model for international e-learning courses. Presentation at VIRCLASS meeting in Bergen. February 2006
- Thomassen: Ideas for the Virtual Book. Content and Design. Presentation at VIRCLASS meeting in Bergen February 2006
- Larsen: Evaluation design. Presentation at HiB seminar: Evaluation research, 22 February 2006
- Thomassen: Ideas for the Virtual Book Concept and design. Evaluation conference for VIRCLASS, Amsterdam, Netherland 15-18 September 2005
- Fahlvik/Thomassen: The Virtual Book. Evaluation conference for VIRCLASS, Amsterdam, Netherland 15-18 September 2005
- Fahlvik: E-learning – the teacher role. Evaluation conference for VIRCLASS, Amsterdam, Netherland 15-18 September 2005
- Hole: Research on e-learning: Possibilities in an International Education (with departure from an ethno-graphic study). Evaluation conference for VIRCLASS Amsterdam, Netherland 15-18 September 2005
- Fahlvik: Portfolio assessment method. VIRCLASS network meeting in Jønkøping, Sweden 24-26 February 2005
- Fahlvik: Teachers guide to it’s learning. VIRCLASS network meeting in Jønkøping, Sweden . 24-26 February 2005